Friday, February 27, 2009

Off and away

Well I guess I am officially over due to make a post…

Things have been kind of hectic here for the last couple of weeks. Of course at work, since I am leaving, my professor wants to get as much out of me as possible. I was working extra to try and get a research article published. It looks like it will get published, which will be very nice since I am one of the authors of the article, which is a big deal as a physicist. I actually have two research articles that are ‘In Press’, which means they are waiting to be published in a scientific journal. As soon as they go through I will post the link or the name of the Journal, so that you can all see just how much of a nerd I am…

I am on track to move to Lebanon in a couple days. I still haven’t really done anything to prepare for it, at least physically. I prefer to make the move kinda spontaneously, that way I don’t have to think about it. It can be kind of difficult to think about moving to a whole new country, leaving all the friends and contacts that I have made in Jordan. Oh well, I guess that is kind of the nature of the work and the life I’ve chosen to live. I have tried to arrange a place to live in Lebanon, and my friends tell me there are a couple of options that I can look at when I arrive. I am not too worried about it. Everything I own fits in two backpacks, so I can stay in hostels for….probably the rest of my life if I had to.

The other news, which is kind of depressing and very annoying, is over a week ago my back and leg started really hurting. It is only my left leg, and it feels like it is on fire whenever I sit down or stand up or walk. I had an inclination that it was sciatica, and after reading some more on the web I am 95% sure it is either a pinched or inflamed nerve. I don’t how long it is supposed to last. If it is inflamed it should go down. The real problem is me…I am too stubborn to just rest. If a friend calls and asks to go play squash I can’t say no…although today I did refrain from playing basketball. If I have to refrain from all sports or working out for 3 or 4 weeks I think I might go just completely insane.

I have tried making a video about Jordan, but windows movie maker keeps freezing up. It has done this a lot. I definitely don’t recommend that software. It is weak, inconsistent, and untrustworthy. For those Mac users out there, this is your place to boast…Mac has incomparibly better base video software than windows. I will keep trying to make something to commemorate Jordan.

By the way it is supposed to snow here tomorrow. Everyone tells me they are SURE it will snow, cause the TV says so. I tell them no way. It is too warm and the conditions aren’t right. I think my Alaskan intuition is more accurate than the news forecaster…at least when it comes to snow. I guess we’ll see in a few hours.

Well that is my random update for the week.

1 comment:

Cove Girl said...

Congradulations on the article getting published, as well as the journal, that's great for what you like to do!

Good to hear that you wer able to come to a decision about Bro. Issa. We here at Bible Baptist have been praying for you.

Definitely sounds like a pinched nerve, of course today I happened to be listening to a medical program on the radio and that exact thing came up. Really what you need is rest. . .doesn't sound like that's in your future though. Although something to think about is that it may cause prolonged damage if you don't get the rest that you do need.

Yeah, I'm studying Meteorology this quarter and although it's not impossible for snow to happen in your part of the world. It's definitely not highly likely either, at least to the extent that we're used to.

Thanks for the updates. Hope your move goes well.