Sunday, February 15, 2009

A few pictures

I don't really have anything great to report. I am anxiously awaiting wedding news...also my baby sister (who consequently is no longer a baby, since she herself has one, who herself is growing up very quickly) has a birthday tomorrow. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH!! and CONGRATULATIONS JASON AND JOANNA!!!

Nothing has really changed here. Still studying arabic, trying to win the nobel prize in physics, and make as many friends as I can. Eventually I need to start thinking about moving to Lebanon, which makes me sad because I don't like thinking about leaving my friends here in Jordan and restarting my social life...but so is life...
Last weekend I finally got out of Amman. First time in like 6 weeks. I have a book with various historical and geological sites in Jordan, and most of the time the book gives the GPS co-ordinates. There is a system of caves in northern Jordan, that almost nobody knows about. So, I got a few guys together and made a day trip out of it. It was AMAZING. The caves are in the jordanian mountains, which this time of year are just starting to fill up with blooming wild flowers of all colors as well as the apple and apricot blossoms on the trees. It almost feels like you are in a different country. It is very pretty up there in the spring. Anyway, we walked through the mountains for about 3 kilos to find the cave (using the GPS). We spent about 3 hours in the cave. There are tons of cracks, crevices, and caverns to explore. There were bats all over the place too...so COOOL. The caves are believed to have been used throughout history for people escaping persecution. Probably used by Christians during the time of the Romans. Overall, it was one of the nicest trips I've done in Jordan. Plus we had a great group of guys. Here are a few pictures.
The Bat Cave!

my little friend

The Guysa blooming apricot tree

6 comments:

Aaroneous said...

Wow Doh that is really cool.

So were the bat's sleeping or just not afraid? could you pick them up?

And uh... (you did tell that guy what his shirt says right?)

Cove Girl said...

That looks like it was a lot of fun.

Great pics, even though I don't like bats.

Kassandra said...

Wow, that's really neat. Looks like you had fun. :o) I don't mind bats, so long as they're not flying at you, screeching like crazy. :o) Otherwise they're pretty cute. :o) Hope you're doing good. Talk to you later.

Jackie said...

What is the most interesting thing you've learned in Physics?
Just wondering...

Jenn said...

Hey Noah...that looks pretty cool. I would be pretty creeped out about the bats though. Praying for you!! Phil, Jenn, Jonny, Davy, Jesse and Reuben Oh...e-mail Phil your address so i can send an invite to my blog and you can see the boys!!

Noah said...

the most interesting thing in physics? probably either a phenomenon called Quantum Entanglement (check it on wikipedia) or a paradox called Schrodinger's cat (again check it on wikipedia).