Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving alone?

I took the day off of work today so that I could study arabic at the University and see a few of my friends. During the day one my arab friends told me, Happy Thanksgiving. I said thanks, but I don't plan on celebrating it. I told him that I really only celebrate one holiday anymore, but I celebrate it every day of my life. He asked, what is that? I said Easter (Easter in Arabic is called 'Resurrection day' if you translate it). After about ten minutes my friend went to class and two girls came over and said, I heard what you said about easter, are you a Christian. I said, not in the traditional sense. They asked what I meant so I explained why I am the way the I am, and why I can celebrate Resurrection day every day of my life, and what that means...that simple opportunity is better than any festival this life can offer.

I have learned from my time here that Christ is truly my all in all. Sometimes I feel alone, but I am never alone. I may sit in my room every night with no one to talk to, but I still hear His voice. I might not see the smiles and laughter of friends, but His joy still fills my heart and soul. I may eat only the simplest of foods, but I have the Bread of life to sustain me.
No, I am never alone. My best friend is always with me.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

It's truly the most important thing we can ever be thankful for.....so glad you weren't alone on Thanksgiving. Love you...The McBrooms

Rachel said...

This post reminded me of this quote, one of my favorites:
“When He asks for and receives our all, He gives in return that which is above price—His own presence. The price is not great when compared with what He gives in return; it is our blindness and our unwillingness to yield that make it seem great.”
-Rosalind Goforth

neverletmeforget said...

I was thinking about you this thanksgiving and wondering how you were feeling and I'm very happy to hear you weren't to lonely. It's good to hear about the opportunities you've been getting to talk to people about stuff like that...
Your little sis in Christ,
Krista

Brazil Nuts said...

We're praying for you, Noah... send us some olives for Christmas... we'll send you a 52 inch TV... hope you can pay for it at customs... J/K... HAHAHAHAHAHA!