Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sound Bytes

HAPPY HOLLIDAYS!!

...well at least here in Jordan (and the rest of the muslim world). Tomorrow is the big Islamic holiday of the year, called the holiday of sacrifice ('eid al-adha), which is based on when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son, but God stopped him. The story is the same in Islam, except for the vital point that muslim believe the son was Ishmael, not Isaac, even though the name is never mentioned in the Qu'ran. Anyway, what it means to me is that I have a week off of work. Holidays here are spent visiting the vast amount of family members, of which I have none, so I am kinda left out of the holiday scence. I will probably spend the majority of the vacation sitting at home studying/working on the plethera of things I have to do. Although I plan on renting a car for a couple days and trying to get a few friends together to go hiking in one of Jordan's scenic/historic places.

I've been trying to do alot of memorization work lately. Here is a sample of my apartment wall. Every week or two I tear down the verses and put new ones up. Also, I recorded one of the verses for anyone who is interested in knowing what Isaiah 53:3-6 sounds like in Arabic. It is actually very beautifully translated, I would say it carries the same weight and significance as our King James....umm apparently adding a sound file was not as straight forward as I thought. I was able to upload it to the location below, but can't seem to get Blogger to play the file itself. Perhaps some of your more experienced bloggers can tell me how. Thanks

http://www.box.net/shared/qcbe2q2eax

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was pretty cool, Noah, it sounded great. We're thinking and praying for you.

Suzie

Jackie said...

The other day I went to the Post Office to get stamps to mail out our Christmas letters. The lady held up three different holiday-style stamp books - I was pretty tired and running late so I said just give me all three. Come to find out that one was Jewish, one Muslim, and the other Catholic. I was upset/surprised/sadded by my mistake.

Cove Girl said...

I listened to this while having another screen up with the verse to see if I could follow along, and even though I don't speak the language and have no idea as to how to form the words, I think I did a relatively OK job of following along by the inflections in your speech. Yeah I'm a nerd like that. I'm sure you're getting better with your Arabic by now, as that was all the way back in December.