Monday, November 24, 2008

Revival of the sportworld

So its been almost three months since I've played any real sport, besides working out in my apartment, which is pretty limited. However, two weeks ago one of my friends asked me if I had ever played squash. I said no, but that I had heard of it. Anyway, I went with them and borrowed a raquet. It was alot of fun (squash is the British cousin of raquetball). As it turns out I am pretty good at the game, I think from playing badminton with my dad a lot. We've been going twice a week now, and today I decided that I like the sport enough to invest money and buy my own raquet (about 80$) since you can't rent them at the gym. There is a group of guys that go with us, so it's been a great way to get to know them as well. It feels so good to get out and do something physical again. Sports are one of the biggest things I miss here in Jordan.

I don't really have much else to say. I'm trying to focus on studying formal arabic more. It is difficult because in every day conversation I never use it. But if I ever want to read and write I have to know it. Plus if I don't keep studying it I'll forget it. Strange to think that you can forget a language when you speak it every day...that's arabic for you.
By the way, sorry for stealing the title Tobi. We don't have (or obey) any kind of copyright laws here in the Middle East.


These pictures are unrelated to the post. I took them a couple months ago. They are of the southern desert. This is where they filmed Lawrence of Arabia. The bottom pic is bedouin tents.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm glad you are getting to know some more people by spending time with them. We are praying for you. The McBroom Family!!

Kassandra said...

Thanks for the update Noah! Glad you're getting involved in a sport activity that you enjoy, and even better that it serves a dual purpose for you to get to know more people! :o) Hope you're doing good. We're praying for you,
The Ryans. ;o)