Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ranting and a Request

Over the last couple years of living abroad I have noticed a number of things about myself, probably the most prominent of which is that I can be a very impatient person about certain things, namely those things which I consider to be unimportant and trivial. Recently, I caught myself getting irritated while waiting for a friend to cook dinner. He kept asking if I wanted this or that in the dinner (which was a dish mostly comprised of eggs). I told him I didn't care, and that it makes no difference t me what the food tastes like, something no lebanese person would understand. The questions continued about what I wanted to drink, if I wanted ice, what channel I wanted to watch, where I wanted to sit, etc...I don't really know why it annoys me for people to ask me all these questions, except that people rarely accept the fact that I just don't care. It makes no difference to me if there is salt in a dish, or if I'm sitting on a chair or on the floor, or if I drink warm or cold water; all I care about is the nutritional value of what I am eating. (BTW, I've finally gotten back to a mostly sugarless diet, no soda, no sweets, no ice cream, no pastries) The same thing goes for clothes, jewelery, cars, and any other appearance related object...I just don't understand how people can honestly be concerned about such things. I mean who cares if your shirt has a collar or ruffles or stripes, or if your shoes are white or black or yellow, or if your car has some dirt on it. I mean none of these things affect the functionality of the object!
After explaining this to my friend he replied, "I don't think you are every going to get married"...que sera sera, shu bido yasir yasir.
*Disclaimer: These are all MY personal preferences, I don't expect, and probably don't really want, other people to be like me. I'm not saying its bad to care about such things (trivial as they may be to me), I just mean I don't understand why it matters...probably cause I'm missing a few marbles upstairs.*

Anyway, I guess that is my random rant. Those of who you know me are probably all nodding your heads thinking, "yep, Noah has no taste" to which I say, don't put spice in my life, just give me a second helping of life.


HAHA, now having said all that, I want to make a request: I need a recipe :)
Thanksgiving is coming up and an american family asked me if I wanted to come over, so I said yes. I am going to make pies, and I want to try making some clam chowder (I have a big pack of Alaskan razor clams I brought with me). I know clam choweder isn't a traditional thanksgiving meal, but Thanksgiving is not a traditional holiday in Lebanon...so, I was hoping that you all could send me your secret clam chowder recipes.

OK, I'm done now.

PS (can you use PS for a blog???) Congratulations to Molly, may all your puppies grow up to be just as crazy, annoying, and neurotic as you

11 comments:

Cove Girl said...

Your rant is very typical for the average guy. That's generally why they need to me married, because women do tend to care about that sort of thing and it generally makes them better in the end.

Renee said...

I just used this recipe a friend gave to me, and it's not right to keep this to myself--it is WONDERFUL!

--Chopped clams
--Standard size pkg. thick-cut sliced
bacon
--1 huge or 2 large yellow onions
--6 cans of Campbell's Cream of
Potato Soup
--1 tsp. lemon juice
--1/2 Worcestershire sauce
--Whole milk

Chop up bacon and onion(s). In a large pot or Dutch oven, fry bacon to nearly a crisp. Add onion(s) a few minutes before bacon is entirely crisp and fry together until onion is soft and bacon crisp (Stay close to the stove during this process...The timing is touchy). Drain bacon and onion of excess grease. Add clams with juice. Add potato soup (ignore can instructions). Add milk to thin soup to desired consistency. Add Worchestershire sauce and lemon juice. Spice moderately with pepper. Finely-minced celery at table for those whom it pleases, to sprinkle on top of soup.

(**I kept it on medium during most of the cooking, then lowered it to low-medium low the rest, so that it wouldn't burn on the bottom. It depends with each stove.)

TwiceBorn said...

Yeah, I don't understand people like you. I don't think life is worth living once if it's not spiced with something. And while I am impatient, what really annoys me is when everything isn't so so. I usually don't want it unless it's made perfectly how I like it. This only means I have more flaws than you.
As for Molly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think her genes won out over Goob's because only two of the total 7 are lemon beagles, and with any luck, I'm sure every one of them will be just like their mother.

Unknown said...

Yep.....no taste thats probably my boy......but I think you could allow yourself that if you would. I am awed by the variety and wonder of food for sure because it was all created for our pleasure. The man made stuff I don't find as much value in but some things are pretty to look at and so that gives them some value.....or to appreciate that someone wants to make you comfortable or values you is something good and should be appreciated. Dang sometimes I think I failed as a mother....teaching you a few things in case you ever hope to find a wife. ARGH. Maybe you're not hopeless yet. There is a romantic thread in there too, we've all seen your sensitive side.
Clam Chowder...
I like to use
Boil 2 pototoes in 1 1/2 quarts water till mushy then add cubed potatoes and cook til tender. Add cooked Bacon (crumbled) sauted
onion
garlic
chopped clams
half & half or canned milk about 3 cups and heat til almost boiling. Don't let it boil.
Salt and pepper (Please use them probably about 1 tsp salt, 1/2 t pepper.
Hope it turns out good. I'll miss having cranberry sauce with you.

rebekah said...

Not believing you. If you didn't care at all about food why did you buy Mountain Dew by the case while you where here? You just like this image you've created of yourself. Not buying it. You sound like a grouch. Your friend should have smacked you and never offered to make you food again.

Noah said...

Thanks for the clam chowder recipes. I will try both of them, but finding Cream of Potato soup will be a trick.
Rebekah, thanks for your always uplifting and encouraging comments :) You are right, I'm inconsistent and grouchy and probably deserve a beating. So glad you keep me in line. :)

rebekah said...

You're welcome :)

Jo said...

Oh, Noah you don't need a recipe just throw some clams in a pot of water and call it clam chowder. I'm sure people won't like it very much but it that doesn't really matter and if you make pumpkin pie leave out the spices because they're not important. Just so you know Noah, I happen to know another person that gets impatient about thing he considers to be "unimportant and trivial". I won't name any name but let's just say he lives in the same house as me. Maybe that's why you two get along to well.

Jo

Aaroneous said...

UGH!!! how disgustingly typical of the 'humpers' Tobi is a ponce and rebekah is... well bek. I completely understand where you're coming from. and why you bought MD when you were here.

Caleb & Lisa Humphrey said...

Do you own a cookbook Noah?
we have a blog now, it's clhumphrey09.blogpot.com.

TwiceBorn said...

Wow, brutal...
lol
"When did this escalate to physical violence?"

I wonder how many people know where that quote came from.