Monday, November 23, 2009

Pumkin Pie

Well, it is getting close to Thanksgiving, and normally I woudn't care since I am 7,000 miles away from America, but there is an american family that I know here who is going to celebrate it, and asked if wanted to come. We are actually going to invite quite a few of our lebanese friends to come. Somehow I was elected to make the pies. I found some frozen strawberries and some fresh apples, but there is no pumpkin pie filling (or if there is the other americans beat me to it). So instead I got on google (I seriously don't know what people did before internet searching), and looked up how to make pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins...a truly novel though. I know my mom does this really well, but being the lazy, selfish kid that I was I didn't learn how to do it. Anyway, I found a nice recipe and got to work. Pumpkins are in season now in Lebanon, so it worked out well.
Below is a pictorial account of the project:
Sorry about the low quality of pictures, I had to use my cell phone since my camera and memory cards (and 5 hours of my life) were recently taken by a certain militant fundamentalist group...but that is another story, and one that cannot be published publicly.

Mr. Kabaar is as good at splitting and skinning pumpkins as he is at gutting and skinning moose...a truly all-purpose tool
The Ulu came in handy to chop up the pumpkin into cubes, after which I steamed them on the stove top for about 15 minutes, until soft.After the pumkin was soft I put them in the blender and got this nice puree of pumpkin.

I have not purchased the spices and other ingredients yet, as my car is in the shop (again). I totally destroyed one of my shocks driving the high quality roads of southern lebanon. Trust me, if you ever saw the roads down there you would think Break-Up pot holes in Alaska are a kiddy ride.


I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
wa li kul as7abi bil-urdon: kul yom wa antum bi5eer wa 3id mubarak!

9 comments:

rebekah said...

I'm impressed! It will taste better then canned pumpkin pie anyway. You have to let us know what if your arab friends like it. Did you make clam chowder yet? You didn't answer my question about the clams. Do they have clams there?

alaskan arndts said...

Looking good! You're going to take pictures of the finished pie right?
~Pam

Aaroneous said...

COME HOME ADONIRUM!!! DON'T DIE!!!

DON'T GO WHERE I CAN"T FOLLOW YOU MR> FRODO!!!

Noah said...

They do have clams here, but they are expensive, hard to find, and with all the trash in the water probably not healthy.
I didn't make clam chowder...I don't think I'll be able to. I just don't have the time.
I'll take pictures of the finished pies.

Samwise, someone has to take the ring to Mt Doom. It was given to me, I must carry it.

The Johnsons said...

I am looking forward to eating that pie! :oD

Renee said...

Very impressive! I've never made pumpkin pie from anything other than the canned stuff before. Glad you're doing it. :) I'm also glad you will be able to celebrate w/others on Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kluane said...

YUM! we made some pumpkin pies from a real pumpkin the other day and it was soooooooooooooooooooooo good!=o)

Unknown said...

Way to go! Hannah and I will be making some on Wed. I think will do it the easy way this time though. We love you and miss you.

Rachel said...

I'm making pumpkin pies tonight the same way... it's so nice when you get done though and can say, "I made that - completely from scratch!"