Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tribute to Godly music

It always manages to overwhelm me how God can use something so simple as music to speak to the soul (and by music that includes the words). Something I realize that we take for granted in America is our great heritage of godly music. We are indebted to so many people who gave their time, talents, and efforts to create and pass down the vast of repertoire of hymns that we enjoy today. When you listen to the words of a hymn like Amazing Grace, When I survey the wonderous cross, or And can it be that I should gain, you know that God was working through the penmen of these marvelous works of art. In my opinion there is not even the illusion of a comparison between their beauty and the generally oversimple, repitious conglormerates that we call contemporary worship.
We, here in the middle east, lack the rich history of hymnology which exists in nearly every hymnal in western churches. What a blessing it is to have godly music.
So for all those whom God has richly blessed with musical talents I encourage you to stir up the gift which is in you, and provide the forthcoming generations with a legacy such you have inherited.

This a hymn which I don't think I've ever heard sung in person, but have loved it from the first time I heard it. So rich in meaning and truth.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o’er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o’er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
’Tis an ocean full of blessing, ’tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, ’tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!

5 comments:

Grammie Kim said...

Such a beautiful song, both in word and sound. It is amazing how God can use a group of verses to speak to the heart!

Crazy-brazil-nuts said...

Hey Noah -- we sang this song at church the other day,,, it's a rich one -- isn't it hard to choose a favorite hymn? There are SO many good ones. At the moment, some of my favorites are: "What a Wonderful Savior", "He Hideth My Soul", and "I Will Praise Him"... Travis really likes "Stayed Upon Jehovah".
Did you have a nice b-day?? It's in Jan. right? We've been thinking of you. Big hugs from your Brazilian-Alaskan friends!

Crazy-brazil-nuts said...

P.S. Did you know that we are expecting at mid/end of June?

Renee said...

Nice to hear from you again! I'm glad you're back in Lebanon. :) One of my favorite hymns is "Wonderful Grace of Jesus." Such a wonderful congregational song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=226o1se6lc4

TwiceBorn said...

Noah, I think you typed into a post that you had already posted before. Either way, we're still glad you've posted.

We're enjoying the letters dad reads from you. It's good to know that all the hard work you do over there is worth it and that God is blessing it. You're always in our thoughts and prayers.