Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lebanese Diet

So, I have been trying to adhere to the promise I made (mostly to myself) not to eat any processed sugars. So far I have been successful, with the exception of drinking a little soda and coffee when they are offered to me as a visitor (it is very rude in Arabic culture to turn down something when it is put in front of you...and people usually don't ask if you want something, they just do it). I've also lessened my white flour intake, except for flat bread which is pretty much unavoidable seeings that if you don't eat the flat bread you have no eating utensils...Anyway, about half of my diet right now is consisting of fruit and yogurt. There is so much fruit right now in the market places...you Alaskans would go nuts (just like me). a pound of bananas - 25 cents; a pound of apples - 40 cents; a pound of grapes - 50 cents; other fruits like guava, nectarine, pears, figs, and pomegranates range from 50 cents to a dollar a pound...and its all fresh. Half of the fruit I don't even buy, friends just give it to me. A week ago I had such a stock pile I was eating fruit like mad just so I wouldn't throw it away. Some I had to throw away, but I justified by putting it into my experimental Bio-gas generator. Oh, and the other very important thing: my blender, what an awesome tool!
OK, so that is an inside look into my dietary life. By the way a couple weeks back there was a baptism in brother Issa's church and we had a fellowship, so I baked pies (also from fruit). There was an american family who came, and all their kids came up and told me that I was their special friend haha. I told them to thank my mom for teaching me...Thanks mom.
Until the next time. Peace out

6 comments:

TwiceBorn said...

Hm, I guess no one cares to comment on blogs anymore. Well, I guess I never do either, but I have started blogging again. We'll see if it sticks.
You're lucky to get so much fruit. We're still enjoying our late fall. There's no snow on the ground and it rained all morning so the temperatures have been pretty warm and we're kind of going around naively pretending winter will never come this year.

Dad showed everyone your letter about your time in Jordan and it was very encourageing. You're in our prayers.

BTW, so is "peace out" going to be a permanent part of your volcabulary now?

Noah said...

no, I'm sure it will wear off as soon as I stop watching the videos of my niece.
BTW thanks for commenting, hopefully it will catch on again.

Mrs. Humphrey said...

Yes, Noah, you sure can make some good fruit pie or at least berry pie. And make it look easy. Your mother did a great job.

Rachel said...

I can't wait for the all the fruit we can get while we're in Africa! In your picture, what are the two yellow fruits by the nectarines? Are they a kind of pear?

Noah said...

Yeah, they are Middle eastern pears. They are smaller than the ones in the states, but they taste similar to a Bartlett pear.

Anonymous said...

gosh I wish I was having some of that pie.....sounds like you learned well. You're so quick! I sure would like some fruit since I missed my trip to Oregon for harvesting. I'll have to let you know Devynn's new phrase when I see her tomorrow. They just got back from HI this morning and Hannah said she has all kinds of new silliness.
Love you,
Mom