Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas

I hope this finds everybody having a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. It sure is different thinking about Christmas and the holidays in a foreign country, especially one with completely different traditions and enviornment. It seems wrong to even call it Christmas without snow, christmas carols, decorations, or spruce or pine trees...but that is the way the christmas cookie crumbles (or doesn't crumble as that case is here)
I told myself I was going to try and avoid thinking about the holidays too much, and so I wasn't going to listen to Christmas songs...but last night I gave in a listened to all my favorites, and as expected it made me cry. Not crying because I was sad to be away from friends and family, but because I was so happy remembering all those memories I have, and that I cherish so much. The part that is sad knowing that I have chosen to leave that behind in order to follow something greater than those joys. And though the memories bring joy, it carries a certain pain and sorrow with it. And while I listened to the words of these beloved songs God reminded me that 2000 years ago a baby was born who traveled much farther from home than I ever could, who gave up more than I can ever have, and who sacrificed more than I will ever be able to imagine. I feel priveleged to feel, in an infintesmally small way, what Christ must have felt when he left the glory of heaven and came to dwell with us lowly sinners...I will never understand how God could love me so much, but I thank him and praise him for it.
Merry Christmas, and "God Bless you with a 1000 blessings this year and every year" (thats a translated arabic holiday greeting)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Noah. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Suzie

~Kluane said...

Merry Christmas!!!!
Kluane

blondevue... said...

Noah,
Our family is praying for you.
I know what you mean about it not seeming like Christmas without the snow. Our family has finally gotten back from our trip. It was good, but not home.
Merry Christmas,
Tori

Jenn said...

Merry Christmas, Noah! We miss you and hope that you are doing well. We are praying for you.....Love you, The McBrooms