Monday, March 8, 2010

Off to Egypt


Yep, I'm off to search for the lost tomb of the pharaohs. No, not really. Actually I doubt that I'll do any site seeing in this trip. I have never been to Egypt, and the opportunity came up to go with one of my co-workers here in Lebanon. I have to leave Lebanon by the 14th of March anyway, because my Visa is going to expire. So this friend and I are going to go to southern Egypt to try and meet some people and share some good news. I am also hoping that it will give me a feel for the Egyptian culture and what kind of conditions they are living in. We'll be there 10 days, so it should give me enough time to get a taste of Egypt. It will probably test my Arabic, because Egyptian is very different than the Levantine dialect which I am used to speaking in Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan.
Egypt is the most populated Arab country with 77 million people. Cairo is one the largest and most densely populated cities in the world, with about 18 million people literally living on top of each other. Personally I hope we don't spend much time in Cairo. Beirut is bad enough. Plus every tells me the only place which has worse traffic that Beirut is Cairo. Thanks but I'll pass, my sanity is wavering as it is.
Hopefully it will be a break the busy schedule I've been living here in Lebanon. Well, actually I hope that I will be busy (actually I know I will), but it will be nice to change the scenery a bit and get a breath of fresh....oh wait Egypt is one of the most polluted places on the planet...well a change of scenery anyway.
I doubt I'll have much internet access while away because the part of Egypt were going to is most poverty stricken and probably doesn't boast many internet cafes, so if you don't here from just trust the Lord that He's taking care of me.

I'll try to bring back a piece of the pyramids for a memento, or maybe a piece of mummy wrapping.
Which reminds me of a cartoon I read. Here's what it would look like if Alaskans made mummies (compliments of Tundra):

7 comments:

Cove Girl said...

Hopefully you get to take some pics and post them when you get back. Be safe.

Suzie said...

Enjoy your trip, Noah. We'll be praying for you and thinking of you.

Crazy-brazil-nuts said...

Noah-- you absolutely crack me up... I'm glad you haven't lost your humor. Super big smiles to ya, your friends, T&L

Unknown said...

Have a great time! I would love to be traveling......Can't wait to hear about it. :) M

Anonymous said...

Still chucklin over the duct tape mummy!

Be safe Noah, your always in my prayers.. deba

andersong1 said...

Praying for you every day, brother, that God would use to raise leaders for Christ in the countries you are working.

Crazy-brazil-nuts said...

Hey Noah -- I've recently memorized these verses and I thought they would be a blessing to you. Ps.62:5-8 "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. TRUST IN HIM AT ALL TIMES; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah."