Monday, October 6, 2008

Back from Lebanon (again)

Well, I finally feel confident in saying that I am recovered from the slew of bugs that I had caught, and it happened just in time (usually does when the Lord is involved) for my trip to Lebanon. Tuesday was the first day of the holiday celebrating the end of Ramadan, which means everyone spends the holiday with their family and visiting relatives...so for foreigners it means that you spend alot of time sitting at home. All the more reason that made it a perfect time to head to Lebanon. Lebanon, by the way, is a much more open society. Nevertheless, the night before I left one of my jordanian friends came over and spent most of the day on wednesday with me, and another friend came over that night and watched a Bosnian movie with which (he is Bosnian-Palestinian), which made me really happy since it means I am slowly getting integrated.
Anyway, the trip to Lebanon was very good, despite the bus bomb that had went off the day before I arrived (it was up in the north, and far away from Beirut). When I arrived to the hostel I met this young guy from Australia who is working for the kings boarding school in Jordan. He is a pretty impressive young man. He is 20, spent 2 years in China, a year travelling in southeast asia, runs two NGO's, and has a plethara of 'friends in high places', including the president of the American University of Iraq. Anyway, we went over to Baalbek together. Baalbek has the world's tallest standing Roman pillars. The next three days I spent travelling and in meetings, all of which went well. I made it back to Amman Monday morning and went immediately to work. Life seems much brighter now that the weather has cooled off, sickness is gone, and Ramadan is over. Hope everyone is doing good back home.


No matter how many Roman ruins I see, I never get tired of them. Just look at the sheer size of these 2000 year old buildings.


1 comment:

blondevue... said...

The pictures are impressive.
Our thoughts are with you as you are over there.
Glad the sickness is gone and you were able to travel. :)
Tori