Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Time never slows down

The other day I realized that I only have a month and a half before I fly back to Alaska. I don't know what happened to the last seven months...I feel like I got robbed somehow. Then again the last two years have kind of been a blur. It is hard to believe I lived in Monterey for two months, Chicago for a month, Jerusalem for two months, LaCrosse for two months, and Amman for seven, as well as visited a number of places in the States and a couple places in Europe. That is not to mention all the people I have met and made friends with…yeah, blur is the best way to describe it. But I think I’d have it no other way. There is something exhilarating and refreshing about living life as a nomad of sorts. I feel like it forces one to depend on your faith in God.

I finished the UN training course on Renewable Resources. Overall it was beneficial, although I didn't learn a whole lot of new information on the scientific or technical aspect, but then I didn't really expect to. I did meet quite a few people who are working in the field here in the Middle East, and especially Jordan. One of them said there is a good chance I could get a job when I come back working in Solar Cells. I also got to meet quite a few neat people, some of them who I am sure I’ll stay in touch with here in Jordan. When I came back to the University I had all kinds of work stacked up for me in the lab. Which, in a strange way, makes me feel good because it means I am trusted enough to depended upon. Then a couple days ago the professor I work for officially asked me if I wanted to come back next year and work as a full time research assistant. She said she is happy with my ‘scientific observations’. I had the feeling that if I wanted to stay on as a researcher that I could, but it is good to know that it has officially been offered now.

It is starting to get really warm here. Last weekend it was in the 90's. If this is what spring is like I am not too heartbroken that I won't be here for the summer. The funny thing is that the only ocean nearby is the Dead Sea, which is on average 10 to 15 degrees hotter than Amman. I actually don’t consider it a real sea, cause it has no fish in it.

Well, I guess thats about all I got to say about that…

Here is a picture of the UN group I was with. This is in front of the Rangers building. The Rangers are Jordan’s environmental police, like the EPA, but with no real authority.

2 comments:

Brazil Nuts said...

hey noah -(I just left you a comment on March 8th,, so you will have to read it... but I did also want to say...) Do you remember in one of your letters you were talking about explaining the Trinity? Well,,,I am no expert but there are two analogies (sp?) that might be helpful which I have heard. One is of an egg. It has 3 parts: the shell, the yoke, and the white part but all of it = an egg. (3 different parts but 1 object.)
The second one is: The Sun represents the Father, the light represents Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, the warmth. All different functions but they all go together.

Anyways,, just some thoughts I wanted to share with ya. ;o) Take care! L

Cove Girl said...

Hey there,
I don't know if you remember me, but I met you when you accompanied BBC, Oak Harbor WA, on their Highway 20 outreach last summer. It looks like you've done a lot in your time there. I'm sure it seems strange to think about going home after being over there for half a year. I know it was for me when I returned back to the states after living in Sicily for 2 years. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed reading you blog.

Carolyn Pivarnik