Wednesday, September 19, 2007

in Amman

Well, I guess I should write and let everyone know that I am still alive and kicking. I made it to Amman without any real problems, got moved into my apartment (which doesn’t take very long when your whole consists of one duffel bag, a backpack, and your laptop.) Anyway, the apartment is really quite nice…way better than any thing you could ever find in the states for 280$ a month. Plus I get to live with a really nice Jordanian guy. He has been a big help so far, just getting stuff figured out. We decided that we are going to speak Arabic only in the apartment (he speaks fluent English), and so far we’ve held up to it.
Ramadan (the holy month for Muslims) started last week, which makes trying to get situated kinda difficult because everything closes early, really early. Also, most places are closed on Friday and Saturday, but I think that is common year round. It also makes it difficult to eat and drink, since most people here are muslims it is considered rude to eat or drink in front of people that are fasting, so on average I go from about 7:30 am until about 5 pm without food or water, unless I can sneak away and get something to drink. The food part is pretty easy, but not drinking water is pretty difficult.
My classes started this week. I have class for three hours a day, in the morning. But again, this is the Ramadan schedule…so all the classes at the University finish by 2 pm. After Ramadan the schedule will change. My job at the physics department has been kind of postponed. The class I was going to teach is at the same time as one of my language classes (again partially due to Ramadan). But also, the person who was the department head when I came in the spring is no longer department head. So right now I am working on a nanotechnology research project with one of the professors, which helps get my foot in the door for next semester. However, it doesn’t really help me meet students, so I am working on other approaches to try and make Jordanian friends.
I would try to explain what it is like here, but I don’t know where to start. There are so many things that are different, and amazing, and strange…I never thought crossing the street was something I’d have to learn over again. So far I have only met one Jordanian that wasn’t nice (she worked in the Registrars office). Most of them have been incredibly friendly.
Sorry I’ve not sent more emails…I am still trying to get a schedule down, plus I don’t have internet at the apartment. To make up for it I will post a couple pictures of Amman taken from the roof of my apartment, where my roommate and I have dinner each night. The forested area is where the University is at.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so glad to hear that you are settling in. Try to keep up your strength. We are praying for you. Take a look at my blog some time. There's pictures of the kids on there. Love you, The McBrooms

Anonymous said...

hey Noah. This is Laurel. I just wanted to say sorry for being impatient and grouchy when Travis was on the phone with you. I was having contractions and trying to get the two kids to bed and Travis kept on talking and talking,,, anyways....now you know what was goin on, since I didn't want to tell you that at the time. Praise God Tekoa Rose is here now,, born in the 24th of Aug. She is a sweetie. She looks like Tarissa to me but has Titus' coloring.

hope you are well... we are thinking about, Brother. hugs, Laurel